Any LOST fans out there? Jon and I are, however not the kind that stays up or video tapes the episodes. We just go on a fast for almost a year until the last episode comes out in dvd, than we rent them all and watch them in just a few evenings. The culprits of such an act are our friends Tommy and Rachel who bought us the first season over a year ago now. Thank you guys. No, really, that was such a great gift. Jon and I have loved the series. They are really captivating, and usually have great plots and storilines, that get tangled up with storylines.
On New Year's eve I was sick and Jon went out to rent some movies. He came home with the English Patient, which won a lot of oscars when it first came out in the late 90s. I remember watching it sometime in Italy. I remember loving the story of Juliette Binoche and the indian guy, not so much that of the "english patient" and his lover (which was basically a story of adultery). But it has good acting. Well you will never guess, but the Indian guy I was talking abou that has this fling with Juliette Binoche, who plays Hana, a nursue in WWII, is Sayid, the Iraquanian guy from LOST! How cool is that? I just couldn't believe it! IT is funny to look back at a movie you had enjoyed when younger and discover some actor you know now from a more recent series was in that! There was a lot of other things I 'noticed', including the smashing Colin Firth who played Darcy, and other British romantic comedies, playing the unlucky husband.
But one other sweet thing my husband tole me was about the end of the movie. When Hana leaves the English patient to breathe his last and return to her troop waiting for her to go back home (presumambly the US), an Italian lady comes to pick her up at the abandoned villa in Tuscany where she was staying. Her fellow countrymen introduces this lady as "Gioia."
I was sleeping when this scene came and went by, but it sure hit Jon. He had never "heard" the name on the screen, actually not often ever spoken about somebody other than our daughter. And it was spelled the same. Gioia is in fact kind of old fashioned and not many girls have that name in Italy. It isn't 'strange' just not common, sort of like Miriam.
So it was neat. A girl named Gioia, just popped out in the movies. I know it is silly. Isn't it neat thought that something silly like this warms our hearts anyway?
Just thought I'd share!
1 comment:
When I was maybe a preteen I saw a movie called Splendor in the Grass with Natalie Wood. I loved her movies & thought she was just beautiful. Several years later I saw the movie again and there was a small part at the beginning of a guy...who was Robert Redford. He had become really famous in the intervening years whereas I didn't even notice him the first time around.
It IS funny to see this & I always search in the names on old movies to see if I missed someone now famous.
And no, I don't watch LOST nor have I seen any LOST cast members around on Oahu. But I'd have to know who they are & what they look like before I could notice! 8^) I'm still looking for Dog the Bounty Hunter!
gk
Post a Comment