Last night I attended a women's devotional. I was convicted by the message of one of the girls who spoke of the struggle that every young (and older) man deals with: pornography. Someone even told her that if some guy said that he did not struggle with it he was very likely lying. It is really sad and I felt heavy in my heart for my husband and all the other men out there. What a (not meaningful)sex-saturated world we live in.
I know that for me it is extremly hard to understand the pull that pornography has on men. I know they have a higher sex drive, or better, they are drawn to it more easily/quickly because it comes through the 'eyes', through seeing/looking at/imagining the naked body.
(LADIES, we have a wonderful gift, the gift of being pleasing, but DO NOT BE FOOLED, men are much more pleased by a woman who RESPECTS them enough to not show her body off. We have a responsability, just like we want men to respect us enough and not look at us like pieces of meat, just some pretty thing to look at and touch, than we MUST not DRESS nor ACT like we are such).
Although it might be hard for most of us girls to understand this sin, God opened my eyes recently to some of my own sins (which are so easy to dismiss, for some reason our own struggles always seem 'less' than others). I remember confessing to my husband with an embarassed smiled that I had finished the entire cake in one sitting. Ugh, I felt (and still do) so disgusted with myeslf. You see, I have an eating struggle. I am sometimes controled by my sinful nature that lusts for sweets. Especially chocolate. Many times it is triggered by emotions, such as boredom, moodiness, anger, depression, etc. My husband at first did not understand why I gave in so easily, because he does not struggle like I do with food. Than it hit me! I told him that for me OVEREATING SWEETS was like men's struggle with pornography.
My eyes were open to what he deals with by realizing how easily I fall in the temptation of overeating. I think things such as "it is just this time, I wont eat much longer (and I always do), it isn't that big of a deal"...very similar thoughts that Satan entices men to agree with when tempting them through pornography.
But I had to pray to God last night to give me a greater understanding and to convict me in spirit that this struggle with pornography, just as my own sins and struggles, were a BIG DEAL. It is much easier and nicer to forget about it, because I want to fix it and I know that I am powerless to "undo" with the switch of a wand the lure of pornography and gluttony. But I must realize that I must aknowledge them and accordingly struggle against them, fight them as a soldier of God's army, because my marriage, my husband, my son, the men in my life are important and worhty and that pornography is destroying their spirits. They do not like it one bit. It is never 'nice' or 'fun' to be controlled by something, like sex or food. Things intended for good are distorted by our self-centered need to be immedietly appeased. For why do I always eat chocolate if not to get immedieate gratification? Instead of turning to God and trusting Him to fulfill me in the way I need, I immedietly run to the pantry, the coffeeshop, in hopes to be 'restored' by peanut butter and a mocha. Although I immedietly get the gratification I seek and feel good, it tastes bitter and rotten in the end. Doesn't it? It always goes that way. We are immedietly gratificated but it leaves us very soon even more empty and sadden than before. I am not good at being patient, waiting for God to fulfill me. I want Him to talk to me immedietly, in audible voice. But if I did, would I take what He says and be content, or would I think choclate is better? Because who am I living for? For my lusts, for food, or ...? Will I give God a chance and live for Him? I want to Lord. Help me. Help us all. For we are powerless, but you have the Power to make us whole and save us from ourselves. Amen.
5 comments:
Miriam, I think God revealed this correlation to you for two reasons--to help you understand what men struggle with, and to show you th eserious nature of your own struggle. Thank you for beign so transparent. One thing I thought of as I read was something I read in "Created to be His Helpmeet" by Debi Pearl: The single most important thing a woman can do to help her husband in his struggle for pure thoughts (other than pray for him), is to be available, eager, and willing to fulfill his needs/desires frequently. My husband has admitted to me the struggle is the hardest when for one reason or another, we have not been "intimate" in an extended period of time (a week is too long for most married men!). This has been a struggle for me, as a mom of two kids under age 3, because sometimes I'm just tired or not in the mood, even though I want to be and know he needs me to be. But God answers prayers about this too. =)
To my anonymous commentator, thanks! I remember reading that in the book you mentioned as well. I have prayed for that, and God has answered by giving my heart to fulfill him that way. We are learning to be more open about our intimacy and issues that arise, which draws us nearer, makes us appreciate each others' differences and overall draws us closer. Hugs,
miriam
Oops, I forgot to say that I completely empathize in regards to 'not being in the mood.' That is me most of the time too. As you said, it is hard with a child. I can't imagine how hard with two children under 3!
This is Jen Hutch Gorham from the old days of HUG with your husband. It's been a long ways since then, watching him go through the process of falling in love with you! I will say this. While satisfying our husbands is something that certainly helps the issue, it is not the issue. For many wives, this makes them feel as though their husband's issue with porn is their fault if they haven't been physically available. This is a dangerous myth for women to believe. For me, cultivating tenderness and intimacy in many ways is more important than satisying my husband simply in his physical need. It is false to believe that their need is mostly physical. For some good reading on porn and understanding the addiction and draw toward it, Doug Weiss' materials are great. "Sex, Men and God" and his website is www.sexaddict.com. While all men aren't sex addicts, his materials are so helpful in understanding the entire issue. I'm not meaning to contadict what "anonymous" said; only to say that the issue is definitely complex and one that can create unwarranted guilt in women whose husbands have this struggle. Wives certainly have a responsibility to their husbands to be eager and available, but there are men whose struggle is one that has nothing to do with a woman's eagerness or availability. It is an important issue, and one that needs to be bathed in prayer, wisdom and understanding.
Jen! So good to see you. Gee, you made me blush with that comment on Jon back in the good ol' HUG days. LOL! Thank you so much for pointing that out. I have to agree with you there too. The issue is not just a physical one, but a spiritual one as well, and not at all simple, so that it warrants just a little more "work" for us wives to fix. I definetly do not want women to find themselves in the trap of feeling 'non enough' for their men. I have a wonderful husband who reminds me all the time that I fulfill him and am beautiful yet I still struggle with feeling that I am good enough for him a lot.
Thanks also for pointing out that when it comes to our relationship with our spouses, there is much more to intimacy than physical intimacy. And some times that is very hard to cultivate.
Post a Comment