Who would have thought that my little 4 and a half month boy would be LAUGHING at his mamma when I try to discipline him?!?! I know he is really small, and can not understand when he does something wrong, and I don't want you to think that I pull out my belt or a twitch and spank him (and if I did those diapers wouldn't make a difference they are so cushy.)
Jeremiah has started to pinch me, of course unknowingly, however it REALLY hurts, a couple of times it has made me cry out in pain! This boy is very strong. He is going to outgrow me fast I am afraid. He has also started to cry out in anger, as in throwing a temper. He has a strong will as well. Jon has started to flick him on his mouth when he does it saying "NO" very firmly. And of course, he has told me to do this as well in order to teach him not to.
But I was astonished to find out that not only was there no real pain reaction when I either pinched him back or flicked him on the mouth. HE OUTRIGHT LAUGHED AT ME!! you know, those cute shrills a little baby makes when he is tickled!! The first time I did that, Jon heard him and asked me "Didn't you just tell him no and pinched him back?" I said "yes!" We really had to hold ourselves back trying not to laugh outloud. I guess I am tickling him instead of hurting him. It usually works better when I say no and flick him after he has yelled out in frustration with me. It makes him more angry, but at least he doesn't laugh as though it was a big joke. Oh, well.
The truth is that this discipline thing is hard. Being a parent requires you to be tough and consistant. Like my friend reminded me, to discipline is to be disciplined. And I have a lot to practice, being not a very disciplined person to begin with. I appreciate your prayers. We parents aren't all-powerful, and we need a lot of support, love and prayers, as do our children. We depend on our family and our larger, Christian family to help us through this stage in life. Everyone has something to contribute, if nothing else letting us know they care and that we aren't failing as parents and that they love us and our children.
Thanks to all of you, for your love and prayers. I know so many of you have prayed for this baby to join our family and I am so grateful that our prayers have been answered yes with our precious Jeremiah. He is a blessing, and as most blessings happen to be, he is challening us and helping us become better parents and better children of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment