
Last night Jon and I went to a staff dinner and as entertainment they had a couple of professors play their guitars and entertain us with western music and comedian charm. I really enjoyed it and was glad I went, even just to hear some live music being played by people who truly enjoy music for music's sake. I wish there was more music going around. In our fast-paced entertainment world it is all about downloads, ipods, radio, videos, youtube, and so on. There is no more just plain and simple community music, played on the streets, on someone's front porch, inside the home after dinner, at the community envent center. It isn't as much a thing to enjoy together. Sometimes it is only another buzz noise or distraction to add to the millions we have in this modern world.
I did not grow up with live music because my parents aren't that talented in that area, although they LOVE all kinds of music (for which I am thankful) and we didn't have money for music lessons (the schools in Italy didn't either.) So here I am wanting to soak in music, but guess what? The cheapest tickets are 50 bucks! I remember talking with some friends and them telling me that their father checked in some tickets for a Josh Grobin concert...something like 400$ a piece? and that for just a regular seat??? What?? Why is it so expensive?
Well...I comfort myself knowing I can always go hear the beautiful music my talented cousins make. If they remind me where they are going to play. This is a recent picture of them and their band, Arno, playing at a rock jym for the one year anniversary of the opening. They are very talented, they have a female fiddler player who is great as well. I love listening to them!
I just wish there was more opportunities to make music all together (although I know my voice isn't that great, but still just for fun I wouldn't mind pitching in!)
6 comments:
Hi Miriam! Found you through your comment on the Emerson blog! Good to find you! ~Deidre
Hi Miriam... thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to getting to know you here and at HP.
So good to see both of you!
Miriam,
My dad played the fiddle...but then he & my mom joined The Church and fiddling for square dances went by the wayside. I only got to see him play occasionally in growing up. The whole music thing skipped me, but Ellen can play almost anything. Get her to play her recorder the next time you see her!
I think AC has ruined lots of jam sessions. No one hangs out on the big front porch anymore. We're all inside with our computers! 8^)
gk
You should get together with my friend Cindy and her kids -- they do the porch/shop thing. They go to Mt. View and play in the streets with everybody else. And Harry would even sleep with his mandolin. Love those guys!
Let's do it sometimes. I think you would truly enjoy their gifts -- and not just the musical ones.
Love ya,
navide
Thanks guys for your comments!
Gk-- I love Ellen, she is multitalented and I do want her to play for me...though if I am correct, she is kind of shy when it comes to play something in front of others:) AC has got us lazy in many ways:)
Navide--that is great! Let's do it! Just let me know ahead of time when to pack my dancing shoes and I'll come:)
Josh- love you bro! I wish I could come visit you and El!
Post a Comment