Monday, January 03, 2011
Freecycling
Today was fun. I got a used, but free baby diaper changing table! First time ever to have one. I have been very proud of what we had used in the past (a desk, now a small dresser) and it has worked fine for us and would have, but I thought," hey a real changing place would be nice this time around" :) The best thing is that I got the call! Here in Memphis when someone offers something free there are lots more that respond than the small town when I first joined freecycle. Freecycle is a yahoo or some other e-mail group specific to a certain area where people can list what they have to give away for free and you can also ask for what you are looking for, hoping someone has it and will give it away, again for free! I have been able to get some free stuff for the kids this way (shoes, clothes, an umbrella stroller, and a few other things like that). Here in this city there are lot more people who will respond. I have given things away too and I have a stash, in fact, up in one of my closets of 'things to give away'. This is my favorite way of 'getting rid of stuff', other than giving it tosomeone I know personally or who is known by friends who needs it. It is a community way of doing things- get to meet and interact, even if briefly or not even face to face, with strangers who live in your own town and area. I like the idea of doing things this way: build community, share, and stop filling the landfills with stuff! Some of your junk is other's people's treasure! Truly, you can post just about anything....I have a electric tea kettle I just loved, but for some reason is not working anymore. It might just be trash, but maybe somebody out there knows just what to do to make it work (or what to use it for!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment