Saturday, December 02, 2006

Forgive the Silence

First forgive the silence
That answers prayer,
Then forgive the prayer
That stains the silence.

Excuse the absence
That feels like presence,
Then excuse the feeling
That insists on presence.

Pardon the delay
Of revelation,
Then ask pardon for revealing
Your impatience.

Forgive God
For being only a word,
Then ask God to forgive
The betrayal of language.


Mark Jarman, from the "Five Psalms" in "To the Green Man"

I found this poem in the book on Prayer by Philip Yancey.
Here is an excerpt that really spoke to me about God's silence.

Religious radio and television, as well as certain books and magazines, say little of God's silence. By their accounts God seems to speak volubly, commanding this minister to build a new sanctuary and that housewife to launch a new Web-based company. God represents success, good feelings, a sense of peace, a warm glow. To an audience regaled by such inspiring stories, an encounter with the silence of God hits like a shocking exception and stirs up feelings of inadequacy. The exception, in fact, is the cheery optimism of modern consumer-oriented faith. For centuries Christians learned what to expect on their spiritual journey from the bumbling pilgrim in Pilgrim's Progress, from John of the Cross' Dark Night of the Soul, from Thomas à Kempis's challenging Imitation of Christ. The one mentor who wrote most openly about the presence of God, Brother Lawrence, composed his thoughts while washing dishes and cleaning toilets.

6 comments:

Geraldine said...

Be still and know that I am God.

Which prophet was it who wrote everything out and then laid it out before God and just waited for an answer? I can't remember, but I do remember studying this at Bible Study Fellowship. Miriam, you would LOVE BSF!

gk

Wrye Family said...

Uhm...I don't know for sure. Was it Jeremiah? Daniel? What is this bible study? Tell me about it!

Geraldine said...

ah..I found it...it was King Hezekiah in II Kings 19:14. He received a letter and placed it before God then prayed for an answer. I was not remembering it correctly!

I'll email about BSF...it'll be LONG! 8^)

Sheila said...

The best book I've read that speaks to the issues of God's speaking versus God's silence, is Hearing God by Dallas Willard.

Willard makes the point that most of us have no reason to expect answers from God about specific matters in our lives, when we haven't even learned to listen to what He has clearly said about life in general through scripture, through His creation, through prophets.

I know that I often don't realize how arrogant I am in my dealings wtih God. And He is so patient, so loving, letting me come to see it for myself when I'm able to.

Yesterday at a retreat Jeff Marx imagined God responding to a prayer with, "How about if you first learn how to match your clothes; then we'll talk about letting you run the universe." (Someone in the group had shared that his wife put numbers on all his clothes so that he wouldn't wear mismatched colors.)

I yearn for some answers, for sure. But even more I yearn to know God's love and be able to trust His silence.

(And I've learned more about Him from St. John of the Cross, John Bunyan, and Brother Lawrence, than through just about anything written in the past fifty years.)

Wrye Family said...

Sheila, thank you for sharing that! I can just hear God saying that there are more important things for me to learn right now, than to have him directly answer all my thoughts and questions. I have come to be very weary of the way Christians today talk about having 'heard from God,' using what are now common phrases such as "God spoke to me," or "God told me." In some ways I believe that almost makes us take God's name in vain. I read the Bible and God speaking directly, in audible voice, was NOT a common accurance. And when He did, it usually was not a pleasant, happy experience (the way we think of happy--generating happy, comfortable feelings), nor did He said the things we like to hear (just think of what most of the prophecies were about!). Today it seems that God speaks to us only about pleasant things, making us feel all giddy inside. I think most people, including me at times, take our feelings for God's thoughts and feelings! How arrogant is that! Some say God can speak from intuition...I am still searching for that in His word. I know that the Spirit living in me convicts me, reproaches me, uplifts me, reminds me, but that does not make every single feeling or thought I have God's own.

Ok...I'll get off my soap box :P

Julie said...

thanks for sharing...love keeping up with you guys, even through blogging