There is a video Jon and I watched not too long ago. It's called "The Story of Stuff" and it talks about, well, stuff...the stuff we buy, get, throw away, buy again, throw out again...the stuff that is in our actict, basement or filling our entire garage. Stuff that is in our closets, under our beds and sinks. Stuff that just sits in our cars, homes...and stuff that gradually becomes our way of life. It's been a while now, but 'consumerism' has become more and more a 'hot topic' in our household, dh and I have nice long discussions about it, along with justice, non violence, environment, peace...well I could go on. But one reason 'consumerism' and materialism are so important is b/c it is so evident that we are very much embedded in it. And even more evident that as Christians, followers of Jesus, we are not only way off track like the rest of our american society, but that we are not even talking about it or doing anything about. It saddens me to think that there might be more non Christ followers out there leading the way to a life free of the stuff we create that ways us down, stuff that has no future and only clogs our earth, as well as minds and hearts. This goes along with taking care of God's earth. I believe it is 'awaiting' redemption just like Paul mentions in Romans, and like Jesus raised on the Third Day we are a seed that will become a living, physical plant, not just pure thought.
Know that this video is several minutes long, less than thirty though. It might set you on edge, make you worry and get this huge knot in your stomach and feel like it is the end of the world (like I admit it did me at first). But it isn't....plus as a Christian I don't worry....God's greater than all our messes, no matter how 'global' they are. But it is important to realize how greed can come back to hurt us and those we love and those we don't care for b/c they live far away in another country (or neighborhood or city). Slowly but surely I will find out what practical, everyday ways I can do to stop 'consuming' so much:
- I went to New Hope and though it took me two hours,I bought 9 nice shirts for 14$
- I reuse my bottles, and other plastic things to hold water or whatever I need. (If you do the math plastic water bottle is more expensive than gas...and in our part of the world it isn't necessary either).
- I am part of freecycle
- I am going to try and be kind to my clothes and wash them gently and dry them not on high heat so they will last.
- I will pray for God to free me from the inner green monster.
- I will go to the library for my basic needs first!(LOL)
I am sure there is more I could come up with but it is late! If any of you have ideas on how we can consume less and use more what we have, reuse and recycle in whatever way, please share!
1 comment:
ti voglio bene, cara. Non leggo i tuoi blog spesso quanto vorrei, ma sappi che mi piacciono molto, mi fanno pensare e sono molto fiera di te. baci, baci da mamma
Post a Comment