Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Next week is Lent

I haven't grown up following any kind of church traditions, or a liturgical calendar (I think I was in my early 20s when I learned what liturgical meant!). Thanks to some friends (you know who you are!) and other experiences in my life I have come to sort of desire more ritual and a way to weave a tangible theme of faith in my everyday life. Now, I know there is more to this expression of faith, but as a very scatterbrained and disciplined-challenged person in general, I look at this expression of faith as a way of making it real without faking it, or without making myself fake feelings of thoughts I do not yet possess...but at the same time creating an atmosphere for growth and to express feelings and thoughts I pray and hope to have. I hope this made sense.

Anyhoot...Lent is next week. Ash Wednesday (and I do not know yet why it is called such) is next week. And I have decided to (drum roll please) ...... give up sweets. Yes, the nice sugary thing, especially the one entrenched in a dark brown coating or dripping with velvety smooth chocolate. And that is because I want, I pray to want even more, that every word of God be "sweeter than chocolate" (instead of honey) to me. That is my prayer. My prayer is simply this: Lord, please be real and close to me. I need to know you more.

I want to desire you more. More than chocolate!

Okay, battery is running out!
Sometimes techonology is unforgiving.

I will write more about it especially for the weeks to come!

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Miriam,

May you be blessed by observing Lent. Be sure to read BCP pages 264-269. And here's a very succinct explanation of "why it's called that":

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/holidays/ash_wednesday.htm

Sheila said...

http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/holidays/ash_wednesday.htm

Looks like the whole link didn't come through the first time....

Sheila said...

Well, shoot, it's still not showing. I'll email it to you!