Monday, December 31, 2007

Sometimes you never know what you will find in an old magazine.

I happened to chance on some new year's resolutions of the staff of a magazine that I believe is no longer in print. One of the writers of this magazine wrote her new year's resolution like this:

"I resolve to indulge in my favorite things. I'll drink more coffee and eat more sweets. I'll have more fun, and be more fun. I'll gorge on friendly conversation and find creative ways to minister. My house will stay tumbled (so you'll feel comfortable dropping by) and I'll dress down, not up. I'll also wear less makeup. I'll thank God every day for my husband's laugh lines. I'll play and learn and smile more often."

Wow. What a, pardon the cliche', breath of fresh air.
Do you remember my new year's resolution from last year? Well...don't go back to read it. You can all imagine what it was: I will lose weight, read my Bible and pray more, finish my projects, do better, be more discipline, blah blah blah....Don't get me wrong. These are not bad things. I do want to exercise more, be healthy spiritually, mentally, emotionally. But is this the way to go all the time? And shouldn't just be a part of our everyday life? What is more important? When I go to Heaven, will God ask me how many chapters and verses I read per day? How does my spiritual bank look like? In fact, how do you tell when someone is 'spiritual'? Is the number of devotionals and bible readings he does per day? How about a healthy person? Is it how she looks on the outside?

Ok...so yes, I do want to look good, better, I want to feel good. I want it to be a good year for me and those around me and who I love. And a part of feeling good, is doing things that bring you joy. And that in turn can ripple over to others. Stop trying to live a better life and just living life as it comes.

So here is my new year's resolution:

I will read more, and I will read books I want to read, any kind. I may or may not finish them. I won't give myself a limit.
I will eat a dark chocolate.
I will drink tea and coffee.
I will communicate with friends worldwide on the internet and through the lost art of letter writing.

I will write more. And I won't care how much I write, how long and how repetitive it might sound.

I will believe in myself. I will seize the day. I will have confidence that I can do what I really want to do.

I won't worry about learning and doing this that I don't' care about just because that is what everyone else is doing.

I will listen to Italian music and read Italian books, and dream about my home country. I will talk with others, my son and husband, in Italian. I will also speak French with those who can.
But I wont' worry if I don't do it as much as I wish.

I will dress as I like. Neat and Informal and comfortable, no makeup or jewelry except my wedding band. Except if I want to. I won't worry about how I look. I will find ethnic clothes to wear for fun and think of God's great big world and how wonderfully diverse it is.

I will walk or dance for the fun of it! I will have dates with friends and my sister. I will travel and take opportunities to go down the unbeaten path.

I will laugh and have fun. I wont' be serious all the time. I will look through the eyes of my son.

Most of all, I want to be myself this year. And to do that I need to learn to accept myself and not be afraid of what others think or say.

So this year, my one and only true resolution is to be more accepting and graceful beginning with myself, and with the gifts, passions, ideas and dreams I was given. And for some reason, I think this is the only resolution I'll need and the one that will yield the most results for a full and fruitful life.

4 comments:

Jessicca said...

Great resolutions Miriam. Thanks for sharing them. It was so good to see you in Searcy, hope to see you in CA in March.

TrishE said...

What wonderful resolutions! I'm really inspired by your post to think about the things that make me -me- and trying not to be someone else.

I think that God gives us all a unique purpose in this life and in His kingdom that we can't fulfill if we are trying to live out someone else's purpose, as I too often try to do.

Thank you for the reminder.

Happy New Year,
Trish
etrish.wordpress.com

Jen said...

What a great list and refreshing outlook! Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

this is perfect :D