Monday, March 19, 2007

What have I been up to?

I am so sorry I haven't been posting in, what, 2 weeks? 3?

We've been sick for some of this time (bad icky sick, stomach bug going around). Jon just had his spring break and so I got to enjoy my hubby a little more! And well, I fell off 'the wagon' so to speak- got out of habit of posting! (every time I use a figure of speech, I wonder if I just think it is a figure of speech and I am making one up, saying it wrong you know? I really did grow up in Italy! Please don't think I am weird.)

Others often ask me what I have been up to. I have to stop and wonder about that too. Let's see: I tell "no" and "don't do that" about 7,000 times a day to my almost 9 month old. I try and do 10 things at once (check email, watch Jeremiah, put up some toys up, read, answer a phone call, try to make a phone call or write an email, cook, clean, clean Jeremiah's mess, and just doing nothing on the computer). What do I do? Staying at home makes you feel like you don't' really do anything, although it isn't true. I know I am doing what I need and want to be doing: taking care of Jeremiah. It is frustrating and wonderful at the same time!

A lot goes inside my head too though and I'd like to share that for it is very intersting: I thought a lot about a woman's identity in Christ and not in temporal roles, about politics, war, peace, about marital relationship and how to strengthen mine, about prayer and God, the environment and what am I doing about it, a lot about consumerism and how even Christians are highly consumerists and how can I change that...I am always thinking of how I'd convey my musings and ideas to others. If you ever take a trip into my brain you would feel like you are at once sitting at an UN conference, a theological seminar and a rally. I think about how I want to change the world and I come up with all kinds of ideas and I used to think everyone else did too. Finally after my dh, my sister, my counselor and several other people told me that no, most people didn't, it hit me that I am the weird one. So although my laundry is not finished, the kitchen is still a wreck, the meal in the crockpot I made up and hope it tastes fine and Jeremiah chipped the entertainment center (he manage to take a piece of the plywood off...don't ask me how...I was on the computer), in my mind I finished my my first draft on a lengthy essay on a woman's value in Christianity and added another chapter in my book about Christians and grief and started a new group that engages Christians and others to stop thinking and acting in consumerist ways and finding ways to diminish our consumerist instincts.

Maybe I'll blog about my imaginative life more often.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Miriam! How nice to find you in my comments!

Reading this post made me think of so many things. First, I remembered those days of always doing something yet feeling like I was doing nothing. Oddly enough I still have them out in the working world. Days of doing, doing, doing but not having a tangible *something* to show for it at the end of the day.

And I spend a lot of time thinking about the same things you do. I wrestled for years wondering if that meant I was discontent with my life or rebellious or -- I don't know -- just some sort of a subversive. :-) At some point I realized that God gave me my ever-questioning nature for a purpose. Questioning didn't mean rebelling. There are definitely times I have to just sit back and trust without understanding but without questioners the world would be a sad, sad place.

So glad to have found you. Let's stay in touch!

Amy T. S. said...

Hi. I love you, girl.

Jennifer said...

I agree with Lisa, those minds of ours that are ever-processing are there for a godly reason! I am also always thinking of ways to make things better or more creative or innovative or deep or something. Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you are back!

Anonymous said...

Sweetie! What a nice chuckle (is that the right sp?) I had reading this post...and I could just see you and hear you, my little one...and know, ahimé, that you probably got a lot of this from me but you have certainly made it also uniquely your own.
So go ahead and write your next chapter and finish your speech...but don't forget to wipe the drool off of Jeremiah's chin! baci, mamma
p.s. I enjoy reading comments to your posts.