Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Jesus be my Valentine :)


I was telling my friend and neighbor Stephanie today that I wish this day wasn't only about couples and that kind of romantic love, but just about love, simple yet wonderful, for everyone at every time in life. I am so blessed to have that kind of 'romantic' love, being married, although realistically, for us it isn't always 'passionate' and 'romantic' like those nice chick-flicks, but we do like to celebrate that part of our relationship. But it is just a part, and not the whole, and not the foundation. The foundation is and must be agape-like love: that is selfless and unconditional. Maybe Valentine's Day could be called Love Day or Jesus's Day! I believe He embodied and still does today what Love is really about, for everyone, all the time, everywhere.

I thought about looking for a poem about Jesus and Valentine's Day and though I found them they were kind of cheesy. I had these great intentions of sending some Valentine emails/cards to some friends who I know need the extra 'pick me up' during this kind of holiday (single, divorced, just plain lonely). I then realized that Jesus Himself sent His Valentine gift: His undying Love, demonstrated everyday and culminating at the cross. And His Holy Spirit, alive and active in us, if we only welcome it. God's gift, God's valentine to us: Jesus. I know this sounds all cheesy as well. Here is a verse I read the other day. There are thousands more, every word is part of His Story for us, and the purpose, the meaning, the central reason for all of this life is to love us. I remember still this day when I thought about having children. It is because it is beautifully and fulfilling to give love. Even if not children of your own, even if adults, older people, people from different countries or backgrounds or even with a complete different mindset as yours...it is still the most beautiful thing in the world: giving Love and receiving it.
"I have loved YOU with an everlasting love. I have drawn you with my loving-kindness (hesed=everlasting presence of love) "Jeremiah 31:3

Sometimes you need to put flesh on Jesus to understand this love. Check and see what some children said about love in the next (above) post!

In the meantime: I wish you love, now and always and forever!

1 comment:

jonmatthew said...

This reminds me of something I heard on Air One (the radio station) yesterday. Someone called in to share what she did as a single person on v-day. She said she got helium balloons and wrote love letters to "her man, Jesus" and then sent them up to Him in heaven....Oh, brother. Maybe its just me, but I think that is ridiculous - I talking about God's love for us through Jesus (or Jesus' love for us) in the context of Valentines day, COMPLETELY misrepresents His love. His love is nothing like what we think of on v-day. Just my opinion. I love you!