Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Shanti namaste


I've been doing prenatal yoga for the past few months and LOVE it! It is so relaxing and I enjoying the deep rhytmic breathing. I think it will help a lot in terms of getting ready for labor and delivery. I have noticed in the past a tendency for some people at church to question if yoga is something we should involve in. Some want to change words and formats, sort of like we do with 'praise workouts' and no, there is nothing wrong with that per se, but I wonder how many know what these easter words really mean. Because if they did maybe it wouldn't be so bad. The word "Namaste", which is what you do when you put your hands together as in prayer next to your heart center, means "I honor the spirit in you" (there are obviously differences to this, but the bottom live is that it is an honoring, respectful greeting you give one another). I find it wonderful that many easter cultures have always realized that there is a spiritual truth, dimension to a life, an eternal one, whereas its western counterparts in which I have grown up do not ever aknowledge those, if they do they seem to look at it in lesser ways, not as important as the material and temporal aspect of life. And everyone has a spirit made by God that dwells in them, and that spirit, that person is important to Him. I do 'honor' that.
Our instructor happens to be Christian so often she speaks about God, how he made our bodies to bare children, etc. Obviously that is not always the case, many instructors are not Christian and they see yoga as an alternative spirituality, one that focus on the 'divine self', perhaps, (what we call new age?). However, that is not necessarily how yoga started. Sure, I do belive the easter practice is not Christian per se, but even in the Bible I see Paul and other missionaries always pointing to what there is in common "You have a statue for an 'unkonwn God' ...let me tell you who this God is!" I think learnign about other cultures, with an open mind, ready to see light and hope in some aspect of their lives (like missionaries in Africa, sorry don't remembe rthe names and exact story, but those who were trying to reach out to these very violent and blood thirsty tribes who always fought each other, and finally seeing a way when they learned of their 'peace child' practice) is a more sure way to not only effectively reach and love others, but to grow ourselves in love and grace. I grew up in a 'foreign' country (well not to me! America has been the most 'foreign' so far) and with parents who loved to learn about others and their cultures and places, so I know it makes it easier for me. But we should not 'fear' the foreign, the different. If at first it sounds wrong, perhaps evil and sinister, let's find out for sure, for ourselves. Let us not take 'hear say', especially if these people haven't really done their research themselves. Knowledge and wisdom go hand in hand.
So Shanti (peace to you) namaste, may you find God's hands even in the most unlikely of places.

2 comments:

Eralda LT said...

Miriam, I have bookmarked your blog. First, congratulations! I am so excited for you guys. Second, I did pre-natal yoga when I was pregnant with Jack, and it helped tremendously. I still do yoga and love it.

Your post on Yoga and spirituality is so inspiring!

Michele said...

I haven't checked in on your blog in a while - I'm so excited to hear that you are doing so well!