Although many will read Rapture Ready! and walk away disgusted with how American capitalism has contaminated our churches I think that might be missing the point. Mistaking the symptom for the underlying disease. And I think the disease is not materialism or consumerism but the underlying neuroses governing much of American Christianity and modern life generally. The shopping is driven by the neurosis. And this neurosis is largely the product of American leisure time, the luxury of having time to obsess about ourselves. If the brain doesn't have an external task to focus on it turns inward and we grow, as they say, self-conscious.
What, then, is the answer? None come simply to mind, just a suggestion about where to start. The problem, as I see it, isn’t “materialism” or capitalism but the neurotic core of modern life. And it’s not just a Christian problem, most Americans are infected by it. As Radosh notes, secular pop culture isn't much better than Christian pop culture (think Paris Hilton). Thus, you attempt to “fix” the excesses of pop Christian consumption by reconfiguring the self-image and psychology of American Christians. Jesus, famously, said he had no home, no pillow to rest his head on at night. This might be read as a renunciation of wealth, but I see it as a facet of Jesus’ non-neurotic personality. He could live simply and for others because, at some deep level, he just didn't care. Didn’t obsess about his hair or how “effective” he was (and how Seven Habits might help). You turn your back on consumerism only when you turn your back on self-consciously obsessing. To live with less or to shun fashion (Christian or secular) is difficult for psychological and social rather than economic reasons. To stop caring about what people think is the great achievement, one lauded not only by Jesus but by all the great moral and religious thinkers. True freedom is being free of the neurotic web of society.
This is just the ending of Dr. Richard Beck's post, which is mostly a review of a book entitled "Rapture Ready!" on pop-Christianity (or American Christianity, something I had come to know b/c all my Christian "stuff" had to come from my grandparents in America while growing up).
This was a really good read to me and I wold recommend you checking it out.
Recently I have been trying to implement a new approach in order to hopefully stick to a regular habit of meeting with God in prayer on a much more regular basis. But from thinking (obsessing?) about that, I started worrying and obsessing (despite praying for it) about the status of my faith and my struggle to trust God, and especially how He answers prayer (if any of you know my past you know why this is particularly hard). After reading Beck's post I had to laugh at myself. Perhaps it might have seemed a spiritual pursuit, but there is a lot of 'self' obession really. Trusting God doesn't mean I have to have it 'all together', but that is what I usually pursue. I want to know the whys and the becauses of how God works, not just know Him. In short I am pursuing what I think will give me peace of mind. Of course it is more complicated than that, but I believe one reason I obesses about 'my faith' and when will I be finally really 'in faith' and free of doubt, because the tendency of the church in the states is to focus on our personal journeys, focusing on how to 'be better, get better, feel better' in a very self-help way. I am not saying counseling and specific ministries are wrong at all, but sometimes it can fuel self-obession than release us from it. The idea that I have to 'feel faith' in order to know all is okay with me and God is an obession I must give up in order to perhaps really receive faith that I need.
I work in a small Christian retail store, and for some things I can tell a difference in the business. But not at all times. It is still a business, after all, and not a ministry. And although I love books, there are so many out there that are just a self-help book with a faith twist (like Dr. Beck says in his next post, using Joel Osteen's book as an example). There is nothing wrong in this. What is wrong is what consumerism masks, something that I had not realized and Dr. Beck pointed out: our neurosis! Our letting ourselves obsess and obsess about issues. I know I do this! I obesses about parenting, and God knows I have worried about which parenting philosophy I should follow; I have obssessed about my 'routines', like I mentioned for prayer, but also for homekeeping, for all sorts of stuff. I obesses about how to be the best, how to deal with my obsessions themselves, like not feeling I have the faith I want.
The bottom line is that I (we?) make a big deal about stuff, about life as it concernes ourselves, as it matters to me- we are born self-centered after all, and learning to stop thinking only in terms of self is what means to "die to self and put on Christ."
Christianity, God, my faith cannot just simply be therapy, a means for me to 'feel better; be happier." Yet too many times I have approched it that way. And often I feel that the church itself approaches it that way. My precious dh the other day, after I was recounting him how I had a good 'prayer' morning the day before, but that day I was plagued by sorrowful feelings between me and God he just simply told me "You shouldn't go to God in prayer just expecting good feelings all the time." As if God was my 'quick-fix' before I start the day. He is a person! He is not there to just please me...oh, yeah, it's the other way around! I am supposed to please Him!
I have yet to buy a new Bible. I have thought of it, and obesses about it also, since I have worked in a place that sells Bibles. Do I need a new compact Bible to bring with me in my purse? Or a new study Bible? Which kind? How about one with large margins? I can get a new devotional Bible just for women, or just for moms....the list goes on and on. I think somewhere between checking for the best prices and listing pro and cons of the various 'type' of Bibles I thought....well, if I am NOT even reading and using the 'old' ones I have at home, then it really doesn't matter.
And so now I am going to use what I have and be at peace with that. Though the study Bible I have doesn't meet all my needs, God knows what I need and even with my small struggling faith I will trust Him for that.
Sunday, September 07, 2008
Christian self-obsessions link with consumerism
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment