Friday, October 31, 2008

Greed and the Economic Crisis

I really appreciated NPR bringing up the subject of greed a few weeks ago when the 'crisis' was still fresh and new. not just of the Wall-Steet CEOs, of the rich owners, but even of us, regular everyday people, who go out and spend what we don't have or desire things, well, too much and to our own risk. This is somethingI don't hear many of us church-goers speaking of. Yet materialism and greed is a huge stumbling block, not just to us, but to others outside our faith and it shows. Perhaps we don't want to feel guilty. After all it feels better not to. This makes me think of our pre-school minister, coming up to us in a big class and addressing the need for more teachers for the pre-school, nursery age. She asked the usual if anybody felt called to lead and serve this way, if it was placed on their heart, or if we felt guilty "I can work with that!" she said. I think God can to. I don't think God is not wanting us to enjoy gifts, that sometimes come in the form of material posession (money), but we can't be ruled by them (can't serve God and Money). If our life revolves around the acquiring of a home, a posession, the ability to have more money, then yes, we are being ruled by it. Here is something Max Lucado wrote about these events that was put on our church bulletin:

You Have Our Attention Lord (oct. 08)
Our friends lost their houseThe co-worker lost her jobThe couple next door lost their retirementIt seems that everyone is losing their footingThis scares us. This bailout with billions.These rumblings of depression.These headlines: ominous, thunderous -“Going Broke!” “Going Down!” “Going Under!” “What's Next?”What is next?We’re listening. And we’re admitting: You were right.

You told us this would happen.You shot straight about loving stuff and worshipping money.Greed will break your heart, You warned.Money will love you and leave you.Don’t put your hope in riches that are so uncertain.You were right. Money is a fickle lover and we just got dumped.We were wrong to spend what we didn’t have.

Wrong to neglect prayer and ignore the poor.Wrong to think we ever earned a dime. We didn’t. You gave it. And now, tell us Father, are You taking it?We’re listening. And we’re praying.Could you make something good out of this mess?Of course You can. You always have.

You led slaves out of slavery,Built temples out of ruins,Turned stormy waves into a glassy pond and water into sweet wine.This disorder awaits your order. So do we.

2 comments:

lucyshack said...

I loved reading this. THank you dear.

Jessica Snell said...

Hi! I just wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog! I agree with you that the physical side of the liturgical tradition is intensely helpful. Humans are physical and spiritual, and the liturgical tradition helps us worship with all of ourselves. At least, I find it so.

And I like your idea of a paper prayer chain for the tree. That's really cool.

As for handicrafts . . . most of the ones I know I just worked on until I knew how to do them. I got a bit of a start on a few of them from my mom and one (sewing) from my husband, but then I just read lots of books and practiced, till I was making things I was fairly happy with. Still a bit of a novice (especially at sewing!), but I'd encourage you just to try whatever sounds fun to you, and read up on it a bit. I'm the sort who likes learning from books though, so you might have to take that with a grain of salt. :)